Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1

Before I start with my Advent activity for the day I wanted to share my Christmas decorations with you. I have an entire closet full of Christmas decorations, it's the only holiday I have decorations for! I own about 40 nativities, I have enough ornaments to fill 5 trees and I have an entire large storage box full of just Christmas crafts and ideas of things I want to do, one day! This year though, this is my only decoration...

I bought this tree at Wal-Mart after Christmas a few years ago for $2.50, it's a great tree though!
This is the only Nativity I put out this year. It's perfect because Zoey loves it and has already spent all day playing with it.
My favorite part of all Christmas decorations it the lighted tree with all the other lights out. I think it's just so pretty and peaceful. I put up so few decorations this year because we're moving the week after Christmas and I really don't have the time or energy to deal with more this year. (I know I'd be putting Christmas up at that time anyways but now I'll have that time to pack other boxes instead.)

So onto our activity for the day: I didn't put out any of my nice ornaments because this is really Zoey's first year with a tree and though she did well today I'm still not sure how well it's going to turn out. I also thought it would be cute for Zoey to decorate some ornaments! I love all the foam activities you can find at the craft stores so I got these cute wreaths and Zoey had fun putting the foam stickers on a few of them (we only got 6 made)
I've also decided this year to start a tradition where Zoey gets to unwrap a new Christmas book each day leading up to Christmas. Today, of course, was out first book. She did a great job unwrapping it and she loved sitting and reading it oh, 5 times or more!
The book was about Humphrey the Camel who lost his beloved blanket. Throughout the book he does everything he can to get a new blanket and at the end he wraps baby Jesus in his new blanket. So, to make the book come alive I showed Zoey how to wrap Cookie Monster in her blanket. It was so much fun to spend the afternoon playing with Zoey. The best part was she didn't ask for Dora once while we were doing our activities!
Well, my goal is to do this every night with what I've done, we'll see how well I do! Good Night -

1 comment:

Anna said...

Merry Christmas! Cute tradition-that's a lot of books! I'd keep rewrapping the old ones...

I love Christmas too!

Where y'all moving to?