Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Guess What Today Is?

One year ago today Clay left for work like normal. He came home early and it turned our world upside down. He has lost his job. This was his first job after college, we had a 10 week old baby and I wasn't working (or planning on going back to work). I could never have imagined what blessings would come into our life because of that day.

I am so grateful that I had a good job before the baby came where we were able to save a little so that we could get through the first couple of weeks. I'm grateful to friends and family who helped us out as we figured things out to get us back on our feet.

I was able to start babysitting during the day and Clay went looking for a job. We ended up moving in with our friends the Sampson's because Clay hadn't really found anything yet and we couldn't keep up the bills at the apartment. We weren't sure how long we would be there for or where we would go after but they were so nice to let us crash for a few months. Clay did get a job working the night shift at Maveric Color and has really enjoyed it there. We realized that even with his job we still wouldn't be able to make it on our own without some more income so I even found a job. This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I know that probably sounds silly but my whole life all I've ever wanted was t be an at home mom. We even waited till Clay was almost done with school to have our first baby so I could be home. But, I did find a job and I am grateful that everything has turned out ok.

Clay is able to be home during most of the day with Zoey and we have a great friend who takes care of her the few hours that our jobs overlap. I'm glad that Clay gets to spend that extra time with Zoey that most dads don't get. I enjoy my evenings with her (even though they're short) and love to see her smiling face when I pick her up everyday!

Because of the job loss and then job finds we are in a better apartment then I ever would have imagined. I have no problems staying here until we're ready for a house, even if that's 5 years from now! Together we make more money then ever before and we are well on our way to being debt free and building up a savings. Things are still tight but we're at least able to enjoy life. We even have a DVR now! I know, we should be good and save that money, but it's our favorite (and probably only) real splurge right now. No more setting the VCR timer and hoping the reception is good enough for our shows!

I am so grateful for all the blessings, big and small, that I have received over this last year. I'm grateful for the Church welfare system and for my Savior who helped me through each day, good and bad, to get me to where I am now, and where I'm headed. I'm enjoying life and am grateful for all that I have learned this last year. If you'd asked me a year ago if I thought I'd ever be where I am now I would have laughed at you! Thank you to all our friends and family who have helped us along the way. If we can ever repay the favor, please let us know.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I am so glad things have worked out for your guys. The Lord always blesses us...sometimes in ways we can't imagine.

Cami said...

Isn't it wonderful to look back on trials and see how we've grown? I am glad that you have been so blessed after Clay's layoff. We are struggling with finances right now and living with my parents, but I know that it will work out because we're staying close to the Lord. I commend you for going to work to benefit your family even though it means sacrificing your time with Zoey. I understand the strength behind that.

LeeAnna said...

this post made me cry. Thank you for sharing your heart Melissa. The Lord definitely takes us down paths we wouldn't have chosen for ourselves at times, but you are doing awesome still counting your blessings! love you!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird how things just work out for the better in the end...I try and remind myself that everyday. I am just glad Clay still has time to be my wonderful studio assistant! :)